Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Audio Book Review: The Help

My days consist of a 25 mile commute that often takes me over 1.5 hours (...especially in the summer).  While the distance isn't too terribly far, I spend a good chunk of my afternoon sitting in traffic trying to make it over the bridge into Washington.

What makes this commute worse is that I get carsick - even when I drive.

I know I know I know - I hear it 
every. 
single. 
time.  

"I've heard of people getting carsick as the passenger but never the driver."

Not this gal - I get carsick even while driving.

One thing that helps is listening to podcasts and/or audiobooks.

My co-worker recently loaned me her copy of The Help (unabridged) and I can't get enough of this book - so much that I felt the need to write up a bloggy post.

I know you've probably already seen the movie, and you've maybe even read the book, but the audiobook is ah-mazing.

For starters - the book has five different narrators.  FIVE.  In all of the audiobooks I've listened to I've heard maybe two - max.

And these five different narrators aren't just narrating.  
They're acting.

Basically - I was convinced I was watching a play every day on my drive home.  
 The plot is addicting.
The characters are on point.  
The voices are suiting.

And the overall plot of this book (if you haven't seen the movie or read the book) of white privileged women will force you realize how prevalent the racial inequality was during that time.

I laughed.
I cried.
I'm sure my fellow commuters thought I was a lunatic.
But I couldn't get enough of Miss Skeeter's perseverance, Aibileen's sacrifices, and Celia's naivety.

If you've been scanning Audibles trying to find the next book to keep you occupied, do yourself a favor and download this gem.

No comments

Post a Comment

I lovelove comments! Thank you for taking the time to read my post and leave me a comment :-)

I respond to comments via email for those of you who have your email linked to your account.

If it's not linked, I'll respond on here. Thank you!